Children's Laureate Cressida Cowell has published an open letter asking the prime minister to ringfence £100m a year to help primary school libraries.
The How to Train Your Dragon writer told the BBC she wanted "something hopeful" to come out of the "darkness" of the pandemic.
"If you want to level up, libraries have to be a key part of that."
She wants funding to be guaranteed for primary school libraries in the way that it is for physical education.
The PE premium was introduced in 2013.
"It's just as important as sport - it's about children's life chances," she said.
"Children reading for joy is one of the two key factors in children's future economic success... they will also be healthier and happier."
The schools involved in the project are as follows:
- Benwick Primary School (Cambridgeshire)
- Dinnington Community Primary School (Rotherham)
- Griffin Primary School (Wandsworth)
- Saviour CE Primary (Manchester)
- Skerne Park Primary School (Darlington)
- Woodchurch C of E Primary School (Wirral)