Year 1 - Where do the wheels on the bus go?
Local area study
In this topic the children will be geographers in their local area finding out about where they live, Woodchurch and the Wirral.
Key Knowledge and Concepts:
- Use maps to identify the UK and four countries.
- Use compass directions to locate countries and explain where they are in relation to one another.
- Locate the Wirral on a UK map.
- Locate Woodchurch on a Wirral map.
- Look at a map of our school.
- Identify human/physical features.
Task - Redesign our playground.
National Curriculum Links: Ge1/1.4 Geographical Skills and Fieldwork
Ge1/1.4a use world maps, atlases and globes to identify the United Kingdom and its countries, as well as the countries, continents and oceans studied at this key stage
Ge1/1.4b use simple compass directions (North, South, East and West) and locational and directional language to describe the location of features and routes on a map
Ge1/1.4c use aerial photographs and plan perspectives to recognise landmarks and basic human and physical features; devise a simple map; and use and construct basic symbols in a key
Ge1/1.4d use simple fieldwork and observational skills to study the geography of their school and its grounds and the key human and physical features of its surrounding environment.
- Who was Neil Armstrong?
- Lives of Significant People.
- Is the I-Pad Cooler than my grandparents’ toys?
- Changes in living memory.